Monday, March 28, 2011

Movie Review

The movie I have chosen is simply because I want to get a new name out there.  Said name is Antonio Campos.  As a director, his only real work is an indie film called Afterschool.  Now, I'm not normally a fan of indie films- at all.  But Campos's intriguing directing style made me rewatch this (actually fairly dull) movie over again. When I say the movie is dull, I simply mean it takes a person with patience to appreciate it, you really have to get involved in the viewing.  However, when you do, every emotion portrayed seems magnified, and you truely feel what he wants you to.  Seeing what the maker of a movie wants you to see- thats the main appeal of a movie.  In written forms of media, your mind only sees a wide angle of the scene.  However, Campos uses angles I had never seen attempted in a movie, not even really making use of the camera that the main character carries with him.  Instead, he focuses on what really holds importance in each scene, or rather, doesn't at all.  Taking not into account the visual senses, he brings on lengthly silences that only encourage the moods.  Avoiding showing the actual shot until the last moment, your always left wondering.  The movie itself is comparable to a more emotional, dull version of 'Brick'.  It doesn't have the wit, or the fast paced put-it-together-yourself type plot, but it also doesn't hold the predicatability or false way of speaking or acting that made Brick so popular.  Antonio Campos is surely one to look out for, and I really look forward to seeing something else by him that moved me to his will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment